The last few weeks have been absorbed in some freelance work for a local marketing company, which is a nice change of pace. But that also means I’ve not been able to get at my new pet project in that time, which has been a bit of a downer.
And since that new project is CakePHP driven and I’m only really learning the platform, time away from the project means knowledge lost or at least deeply buried. That makes getting back into it something of a challenge.
And indeed, I took the better part of the last two days figuring out a problem which turned out to have been rather obvious. Obvious, that is, if you know where to look. But with all that out of the way, I’m starting to make some decent progress on the project and am hoping to get something that at least looks nice by the end of the week.
Because more than one recruiter has said they want something like this to point to as a portfolio item. Everyone seems pleased with the direction I’m going in: they like what the project’s aim is. Sorry I can’t share that on this blog, but until I’ve got my domain name in place, I don’t want to screw myself.
But I really like the layout I’ve chosen for this project: very clean with big, friendly fonts to draw in the less-technical. The project is supposed to be about lowering the bar of participation in government, so it’s important not to cram too much information on any one page.
Hopefully by week’s end: a preview of my new CakePHP-powered web site!